Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Not so Magical....

So twice a year the labels that fill Macy's, Dillards, Neiman Marcus, and Bloomies make their way to the huge convention center and adjacent buildings for MAGIC. I attended this event once before and was pretty overwhelmed at the offerings. I didn't however think that there was many really great options for young designers who were just starting out, and it was very overtaken with huge labels, and brands who were doing big deals. I know, I know, there has to be a place for the masses. There are satellite shows like PROJECT which, are also huge, and don't have many great offerings I found when I went. Maybe one year they can have a truly small, independent designer show that has lots to offer of west coast and national designers who can't afford a hundred thousand dollars for a booth. None the less, this always brings all kinds of weird celebs in town for random after show parties etc. If you were a club goer as I'm not, this may be your week of sightings, and free horrible bedazzled tshirts from Ed Hardy or another takeoff from Von Dutch...I'm happy that I'm downtown and won't have to deal with any of this nonsense. Image Lasvegassun

No comments:

Post a Comment